Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cap off unused outdoor power?

I got a furnace repair call, one time. The breaker tripped, so the woman
(educated, wife of an attorney) reset the breaker. It tripped again, so she
reset it again. She reset it some large number of times, until the breaker
stayed on.

The original breaker trip was from a furnace blower fan motor that was
probably $75. The motor had shorted to ground. A fairly simple repair. After
she reset many times, she vaporized the contacts, on the relay on the $200
prioprietary Carrier Bryant circuit board.

I think that Holmes solution is inviting disaster.

Instead of "cut it high", I'd coil it, label it, and tuck it into the cellar
ceiling. So it can be reused.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I've heard of people suggesting wireing nutting the hot to the neutral
at teh far end so that the breaker will trip if it's ever turned on.
I've even heard that Mike Holmes suggested this (not verified).

I think it's a pretty dumb suggestion.

Pulling the cable from the panel and cutting it up high seems like the
best idea.