Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Fairbairn Jon Fairbairn is offline

Default The wrong kind of light

Weatherlawyer writes:

On Jul 15, 10:37Â*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

Lamp manufacturers spent some time trying to work out what the
light properties are that make people dislike CFLs versus filament
lamps.

The bottom line is they can't find any - in double blind trials,
for those who claim to dislike CFLs, their like or dislike of lamps
depends on if they think the lamps are CFLs or filament, and not if
the lamps are actually CFL or filament lamps.

Sounds like the sort of study pharmaceutical companies try on us.
I hate the damned things.

Its probably just that they controlled for light level. Because
of the over-selling of light output of CFLs, in most places the
light is just much dimmer than incandescents (and as was
mentioned further up the thread, a mismatch between colour
temperature and level looks odd). When I put a CFL in the loo
here (a very small room) I didnt have one that claimed to be
comparable to a 40W bulb, so stuck a €œ100W equivalent€ one in.
The light looks fine, unlike elsewhere.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)