Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default The wrong kind of light

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:37:48 +0100, wrote:

On 15 Jul,
PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:16:23 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 08:17:12 +0100, polygonum wrote:

We have spent considerable effort in sourcing ones which are
acceptable to us. They are much whiter than standard "tungsten
filament replacement" ones but are not that horrible blue-ish
colour of many higher colour temperature lamps.

What's the make/model and source, please? I'd be interested in those.

Hmmm. They are described as being Photo lamps -

4 DAYLIGHT BULBS 5000k, Trumpet Top,Photo,Craft?s,20w BC

obtained from:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UKRMART

Not cheap... :-(

Ouch - almost as much as good LEDs!

I should have read that properly! Not as dear as I misthought - I've
ordered 4. Could do with some 11W ones but there don't seem to be any.

I've just ordered 4. Would prefer lower wattage too. SWMBO won't accept 6500K
ones apart from the one in the futility room. The usual 2700K slow start ones
are abominable, like crap lady's makeup in colour. Whatever happened to 3500K
which would be more acceptable.

A very brief foray[1] with 6500K showed, among other aspects, that the light
didn't appear to be on (apart from the bleedin' obvious) but that the room
was just light - it was rather peculiar.
I've fitted 2*14W T5 3000K tubes in the kitchen and they're marginally less
'warm' than the 18W, 2700K that was there.

[1] It was a Prolite: buzzed, stank and wasn't up to its nominal wattage and
wasn't as bright as an ordinary CFL of the same wattage.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away