Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eyeglass repair

On 15 Jul 2012 22:25:58 GMT, Winston wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:26:08 +0000, James Waldby wrote:

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 05:17:47 +0000, Winston wrote:

(Request for vendor of eyeglass repair parts.)

Does your local repair place carry any parts like that?

Yes. Not for sale to the unwashed, though.

Butofcoursenot.

I haven't
recently looked for glasses parts (aside from having nose pads replaced
at a glasses shop I noticed in a Walmart). If you don't find a
small-quantity supplier, consider getting some used glasses (for parts)
at a thrift store or optician.

Capital suggestion.

I wouldn't be comfortable with lead-based solder near my nose, and would
use braze rather than solder. Also, given the small contact area of the
nose-pad arm and relatively high stress on the part, the extra strength
of braze vs. solder is desirable.

Prolly so.

I'm not so concerned about lead. The joint would not be in rubbing
contact with any part of my physiognomy and would be sufficiently
strong, now that I know about the magic of joint preparation and
extra solder flux.

Bueno.
I can solder with sufficiently good quality easily using the tools
at hand but brazing on that scale would require me to buy a need
little 'micro torch' (new tool. Oooooo.)

Gopheritwindude!

I am very concerned that I would overheat the parts (as did the
professional repair guy) and cause another failure, if I brazed
anyway.

Practice makes...um, better. The watch repairman who silver-soldered
my frames did a nice job and they persist as my backups.

--
A human being must have occupation if he or
she is not to become a nuisance to the world.

We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters!
-- Larry Jaques