Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default The wrong kind of light

Brian Gaff wrote

Yes. These days I cannot see enough to worry about light for seeing but
when they first came out it was obvious that they were very odd. Now most
people I know look around for those rare very white ones so it can be
done, and really as the colour of the light is rather important as you
have said, it seems totally daft to go on using such a bad example.

Many might suggest its a ploy to get people to buy add in light like desk
lamps as these do seem to use whiter lights.

Much more likely to just be the usual thing, it takes a bit of
time before anything new ends up with the best approach
as what the customer prefers takes some time to be seen.

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Why is it that when one wants cfls, one is forced to have the weird
light output that many find hazy and hard to see in? I'd have thought
that the really white phosphoreds would add very little to the cost and
be much better for lighting purposes, or is the cream/green/yellow
fuzzy one very much more efficient or something?
It even makes my eyes feel tired even though I cannot see in it.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

I really don't know what it is about CFLs over linear flourescents. I
have absolutely no problem whatsoever seeing under incandescents or
linears of any colour persuasion, neither do I find their light
objectionable in any way. However, I hate the sickly light that CFLs
generate, and have great trouble reading under them. None of them of any
colour temperature or CRI seem to suit me. About the only thing that I
can say is that they use a tricolour phosphor mix, and this produces a
highly discontinuous spectrum compared to daylight or incandescent light,
but then the spectrum from linear flourescents isn't very clever, either.

Lots of people will now jump on the thread and say that they can't see
anything at all wrong with CFLs, and that the light from them is perfect
etc etc. Maybe this is true for them, and I'm sure most people, but it is
not for me, and apparently Brian. I do have a degree of colour blindness,
and maybe it's this, combined with the 'holey' spectrum, that combines to
make their light objectionable to me.

On a more practical level, I tried putting one in my bench light a while
back. Unfortunately, it was worse than useless for what I do (electronic
service work), as the discontinuous spectrum played havoc with being able
to correctly identify resistor colour code bands. Orange was barely
distinguishable from brown and sometimes red, and blue, green and grey
were also a problem with some resistor types. I have no such problems
working under incandescent light.

Arfa