Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Laptop/Tablet?

On Jul 12, 8:31*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 12/07/2012 00:50, Steve Firth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

An approach which betrays their corporate mindset; they would much
rather sell you a shiny new toy, than have you persist with an existing
one.

I guess this time around you missed the point that if a battery fails
within warranty, or even TBH quite a way outside of warranty an Apple
store will generally either fix for free or give a free replacement
computer that is equal to or even better than the one handed in for
repair.

While commendable, the former (in warranty) is something that most
makers will also do,

That is not my experience. The painless manner in which Apple handle the
event of a failure of their kit is IMO exemplary. The Apple Store and
John Lewis are located close to each other in the closes local "shopping
mall" I can't find much difference in approach between the two.

Other suppliers have tended to approach the matter by firstly trying to
claim that the customer must be a liar and a thief and attempting to
avoid legal responsibility. I have found suppliers such as Dell and HP
particularly keen to avoid paying for repairs *in* warranty and
impossible to persuade to correct consequences of manufacturing faults
out of warranty.

and post warranty, something apple would find hard
not to do should they be pressed under to SOGA. Its not as if they can
claim its a low cost unit and you can't expect more than a years use
from etc.

Are Apple the only makers of laptops in that price range? Try getting
Sony to replace a failed VAIO just out of warranty, for example.

BTW, if you want me appreciate your irony say something ironic. You may
want to check the meaning of the term "irony".

Anyway, enough of this, I really don't want to acrimoniously argue with
you, but by a similar token I don't like to see misinformation or lazy
stereotype being paraded as fact.

As with most stereotypes, while not universally applicable, there often
is or was an element of truth. You can't deny that when it comes to
making things with "no user serviceable" parts, Apple have form here.
See the teardown of the macbook pro linked above as an example.

I've repaired MacBooks in the past - it's no worse than working on, say
Dell or Sony laptops. I think you exaggerate the potential for problems
as a consequence of the design of the MacBook.

BTW, no comment on the Mac Pro? It's the easiest computer to work on
that I have ever seen, also the iMac and the Mac Mini are a joy to
upgrade. User serviceable parts slide out on trays, generic parts can be
used without problems. Trying to build a thesis that Apple is some evil,
tentacular organisation dedicated to suppression of the poor consumer is
more than slightly misplaced, IMO.

Your apparent try to portray IBM/Lenovo as champions of choice is making
me choke a little. That's IBM that would never, ever publish to its
consumers any worthwhile technical documentation for its systems and

That's odd as the first IBM PC I camne across (circa 1982 or '83) came
with complete schematics and documentation.

MBQ