Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair

Default Aldi £59 petrol generator and television

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:37:31 +0100, "D. T. Green"
wrote:

On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have
heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running
very roughly, and is really noisy.

All 2 stroke engines are noisy. 4 stroke engines are much quieter.
Running "rough" could mean no regulation. This generator is a piece
of junk.

Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting to
televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.

That's because the voltage and frequency output is probably not
regulated. Light bulbs, heaters, and resistive loads might survive.
Anything electronic or that uses a motor, probably won't.

Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only
£59 ).

No experience. I don't need to stick my hand in the fire to know that
it's hot.

Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment; would
that just be the manufacturers covering themselves?

Yep. Unsuitable for any purpose other than making lots of noise.

Would buying something
like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a
portable television?

No. If the generator goes into over voltage, even for a few fractions
of second, the MOV (metal oxide varistors) in the "surge protector"
will explode, catch fire, and eventually blow a fuse. Surge
protectors also don't do anything for changes in frequency.

Look into various "inverter generator" offerings. They're quiet,
efficient, low RFI, and have a fairly clean and regulated output.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D