Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Aldi £59 petrol generator and television

D. T. Green wrote in message
On just buying a 800 watt 'two' stroke petrol generator from Aldi, we have
heard from someone who says that he has got one; and that his is running
very roughly, and is really noisy.

Also it says in the instructions that it is *not* suitable for connecting

televisions or other sensitive electronic equipment.

Has anybody any experience with one of these very cheap generators ? (Only
£59 ).

Also saying they are not suitable for sensitive electronic equipment;

would
that just be the manufacturers covering themselves? Would buying

something
like a *surge- protector* make it possible to use the generator with a
portable television?

If I was using one I'd wire in permanently a baseload 100W mains bulb
(assuming you are allowed to start up with a pre-existing load) . If the
lamp flickers /wavers then no use with a TV but if a constant light output
I'd try only a sacrificial old TV with an old set-top box , if the picture
rolls from lack of frequency control then at least I tried.