Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Qx - Straightening a Cupped Panel

On 7/9/2012 3:44 AM, DanG wrote:
On 7/8/2012 11:24 AM, Tom wrote:

I re-read my decades old copy of The Furniture Doctor and have the
framed panel out on the concrete patio up on wooden blocks at the
panel corners, concave side down, with a wet towel under it (not
touching the wood) and a 25 lb barbell weight on cauls on the top. I'm
hoping that 95+ Dallas heat will create a bit of a steamer to bend the
wood back.

I think you're on the right approach. I've had fair luck actually
setting the board on the grass (not rained on, not watered) to increase
the humidity.

What happens when the board again attains equilibrium? Would seem to
me the panel likely attained the shape it is predestined to attain and
to change that you either have to stretch/compress fibers as in bending
the wood to a shape it is not currently destined to attain, or, hack at
it with a saw to force compliance as Leon said. Wood elasticity
increases with heat, hot moisture is the quickest and safest way to
increase the temperature enough to boost elasticity where permanent
destiny change can be made via force.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com