Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Qx - Straightening a Cupped Panel

On 7/8/2012 5:56 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/8/2012 4:29 PM, Tom wrote:
Yep, what you think you see is it. It may well be, as you say, a
spline, though it appeared to me to be a tenon. There is one at each
corner, all in the same relative location.

Knew I'd seen a similar looking miter joint before. This appears to be
similar to what you have and what I can see in the photos. It is typical
of what you would see in Asian crafted pieces of the highest craftsmanship:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...19506017095330

You may now know what you are dealing with?

Not to mention that I apologize to the woodworker, where ever the hell
he is, for doubting his joinery! And that's an understatement.

BTW, the only thing I ever saw in 'Nam from the Phillipines was copycat
Rock 'n Roll bands, and guys dancing with a strange, foot mounted
puppet/doll.

An idea from some one who never did this before.

With the panel being so thin, could you work something out so the panel
could be put into a piece of aluminum channel and then the channel
hidden in the frame?

It is a dumb idea but maybe you could work something.