Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom[_42_] Tom[_42_] is offline

Default Qx - Straightening a Cupped Panel

Yep, what you think you see is it. It may well be, as you say, a
spline, though it appeared to me to be a tenon. There is one at each
corner, all in the same relative location.

I too believe that the frame is NOT coming apart - it's damn solid. No
give or twisting movement in any direction.

The carving depicts an oriental scene, or at least the figures,
clothing and upswept hairdos look oriental in nature. I suspect it was
acquired in the Phillipines. I saw similar carved items for sale in
the 'Nam many years ago, generally sourced out of the Phillipines or
Hong Kong. Never bought one 'cause they wouldn't go with the decor in
my bunker.

Tom

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:39:01 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/8/2012 12:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/8/2012 11:24 AM, Tom wrote:

The panel in question is in a rail and stile frame. It's about 32 X 15
in a frame that's about 36 X 22. The frame is held together by through
tenons.

Posting some pics to a.b.p.w

Any thoughts?

Hmmmm ... where are the "through tenons"?

Got an opportunity to download two of the photos and can faintly make
out what appears to be, judging from its position, possibly an angled
spline?

The only one I can see, if that is what I'm seeing, appears to be the
wrong place with regard to the joint to be a "through tenon", but is
also in a location that would rule it out as decorative, therefore it
could indeed be a method to reinforce a miter joint?

Is this piece Asian? Saw a lot of carvings like that in Hong Kong years
ago, and the joinery is not necessarily what we would see in a European
piece.

If there is one in each corner, than all previous bets about getting the
frame apart are off.