Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azjohn azjohn is offline

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

On 7/6/2012 7:01 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
On 7/6/2012 13:17, azjohn wrote:
On 7/5/2012 8:37 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Picked up my impact wrench (1/2") and it stopped working. Pull the
trigger and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No rotation.

Is this worth tearing into? Could something be gummed up, not letting
air flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing things but I've
never been inside an air tool.
All advise appreciated. BTW, the gun does not have that many hours on
it. 9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per year.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

your compressor may need to be drained of condensation. Everytime you
start using your air tool, put a a few drops of air tool oil into the
air fitting hole. Don't do this with a DA sander.

Why?

Dang. I was just gonna try to fix a DA I got with a bunch of stuff. Air
goes through, but no rotation.

Because if you put oil in immediately before use, you will spray oil
film on the surface of your work.
You can oil the DA, but run it without being anywhere near your sanding
surface, and make sure it is no longer spitting any out when you use it.