Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 18:42:25 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"J. Clarke" fired this volley in
ain.local:

There's an MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil that says that the boiling
point is 172C. The MSDS for Dexron says that the boiling point is
above 315C. So clearly there's _some_ difference.

Yeah... they add a low-fraction solvent to reduce the viscosity and
"stretch" the expensive ATF.

And a scent, which I love.

Look... For whatever other uses, MMO was originally marketed as a "Top
end oil" for pouring down a carburetor to solve sticky-lifter syndrome.
That particular use is long obsolete, but still the product sells.

When I was younger, and all cars were carbureted, we used MMO and ATF
interchangably for the sticky lifter problem, and both worked equally
well.

The high detergent of both was bad for really dirty crankcases. I saw
a 1" chunk of grease come off the inside of an engine from running
that. They pulled it down when the oil didn't "make it all better."
It looked like the owner had added oil but never changed it.

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732