Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default where to get replacement PS2 mouse, or cables

Robert Macy wrote:

uh, there is NO USB driver installed on THIS Win98 system and not
allowed to install new SW that may ,,,, up already existing stuff.

No, you don't need a USB port.

The actual data sent to and from the mouse is the same for both USB and
PS/2.

Most USB mice (mouses?) use a chipset that detects if it is plugged into
a low speed serial port (PS/2 mouse port), or a high speed serial port
(USB) and works properly with it.

Those mice are often sold with a small plastic adaptor that has a USB socket
on one end and a PS/2 plug on the other. The adaptor is strickly electrical,
all the conversion is done in the mouse.

I was very plesantly surprised when a USB keyboard and mouse set I bought
at Office Depot, when plugged into USB to PS/2 adaptors I already had worked
perfectly. YMMV.

Geoff.