Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default where to get replacement PS2 mouse, or cables

Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? URL?

note someone recommended doing this in software with any type mouse,
but am not allowed to touch the system, only replace the hardware.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CCFL

I thought I was good at finding parts; alas I am having a difficult time
finding the CCFLs out of a SANYO DP42848. I have 3 bad ones. They measure
36 3/4" long by 1/8" diameter. I would have thought this an easy find. I
hate to throw away a set for a light bulb. Those of you that can tell me
where to get them in the UK or India; thanks but I am in the U.S.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 7, 9:50*am, "Rick" wrote:
I thought I *was good at finding parts; alas I am having a difficult time
finding the CCFLs out of a SANYO DP42848. *I have 3 bad ones. *They measure
36 3/4" long by 1/8" diameter. *I would have thought this an easy find. *I
hate to throw away a set for a light bulb. *Those of you that can tell me
where to get them in the UK or India; thanks but I am in the U.S.

I still need the mice and/or cables.

but, good luck with that CCFL

I've got a black Thinkpad too, got wet. Jeff Lieberman, best resource
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 09:53:15 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

I've got a black Thinkpad too, got wet. Jeff Lieberman, best resource

All Thinkpads are black.

If it was just fairly clean water, just stand it on end (so the water
drips off the motherboard) and let it dry for a few days. In this hot
weather, it shouldn't take long. However, if it was something like
soda pop, soup, or filthy water, you'll probably have to take it
apart, wash everything with clean water (and a little alcohol), blow
mostly dry with compressed air, and let dry for a few daze.

Google for "how to fix a wet laptop". Plenty of good (and lousy)
ideas.

As for a replacement mouse, there are two types, PS/2 and USB. Go to
your nearest Best Buy, Radio Shack, Fry's, or department store. Even
the local pharamacy sells replacement mice. Avoid mice with a ball
and get one that's optical. Wireless if you like spending money on
batteries every few months. A USB mouse usually comes with an adapter
so that it can be used with a PS/2 port. It's fairly difficult to
find a brand new PS/2 mouse, so use the adapter. Photo of the
adapter:
http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Files/USB-Series/USB-Connectors/USB-to-PS2-Adapter-21155568810.jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

thanks, did not know about availability everywhere now.

uh, there is NO USB driver installed on THIS Win98 system and not
allowed to install new SW that may ,,,, up already existing stuff.

just need a bunch of cables and/or that scrolly/thumb switch type
mouse. I put black eletrical tape over the scroll to disable it.
Everytime got down to viewing something on the internet, the scroll
would do something and then blank screen wait and wait to see what was
there BEFORE the scroll action took it away!

Only stores available around here are Safeway, Walgreens, Walmart.and
CVS

Fry's grocery a LONG way away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

uh, there is NO USB driver installed on THIS Win98 system and not
allowed to install new SW that may ,,,, up already existing stuff.

No, you don't need a USB port.

The actual data sent to and from the mouse is the same for both USB and
PS/2.

Most USB mice (mouses?) use a chipset that detects if it is plugged into
a low speed serial port (PS/2 mouse port), or a high speed serial port
(USB) and works properly with it.

Those mice are often sold with a small plastic adaptor that has a USB socket
on one end and a PS/2 plug on the other. The adaptor is strickly electrical,
all the conversion is done in the mouse.

I was very plesantly surprised when a USB keyboard and mouse set I bought
at Office Depot, when plugged into USB to PS/2 adaptors I already had worked
perfectly. YMMV.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 7, 1:49*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

[...]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson, *N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379

Thanks for the tidbit! Office Depot?! Forgot, we have one close by.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:22:39 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

uh, there is NO USB driver installed on THIS Win98 system and not
allowed to install new SW that may ,,,, up already existing stuff.

You do not need a USB driver. A USB mouse, with the adapter, looks to
your computah like a PS/2 mouse.

just need a bunch of cables and/or that scrolly/thumb switch type
mouse.

See your local recycler or thrift shop for dead mice and cannibalized
parts. I probably have what you need if you're desperate.

I put black eletrical tape over the scroll to disable it.

Black tape is reserved for covering up the flashing 12:00 on VCR's and
DVD players. Please do not misuse black tape.

Everytime got down to viewing something on the internet, the scroll
would do something and then blank screen wait and wait to see what was
there BEFORE the scroll action took it away!

Are you running Vista?

Only stores available around here are Safeway, Walgreens, Walmart.and
CVS

All except Safeway should have mice. I know the others have
overpriced mice. If you really live in such an electronics deprived
area, I suggest exploring the benfits of online buying from eBay,
Amazon, Tiger Direct, NewEgg, etc.

How about a USB liquid mouse?
https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+liquid+mouse&tbm=isch
I have several. The kids really like them.

Then, there's the antique Prohance Mouse, which unfortunately comes in
Serial only. No PS/2 or USB. Still if you have a spare serial port,
it might be kinda cool (if you can find a driver):
http://llg.cubic.org/docs/prohance70.jpg

Then, there's the telephone mouse:
http://www.weterm.com/computer_accessories/phone_mouse.htm
I also have several of those. If you saw the Star Trek IV, where
Scotty tries to talk into the mouse on a Mac, you know where the idea
came from.

Fry's grocery a LONG way away.

Not the market. The computah store.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Most USB mice (mouses?)

One mouse, two mice.
One house, two hice?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

thanks, did not know about availability everywhere now.

uh, there is NO USB driver installed on THIS Win98 system and not
allowed to install new SW that may , up already existing stuff.

just need a bunch of cables and/or that scrolly/thumb switch type
mouse. I put black eletrical tape over the scroll to disable it.

You may have hair and dust in the scrollwheel. I've cleaned a lot of
them. You don't say where you're located, but I see lots of them at
flea markets & thrift stores. Try Freecycle.org & Craigslist.com, if
you have local groups. I usually have the L/R pushbutton switches fail,
instead of the cable.

Everytime got down to viewing something on the internet, the scroll
would do something and then blank screen wait and wait to see what was
there BEFORE the scroll action took it away!

Only stores available around here are Safeway, Walgreens, Walmart.and
CVS

Fry's grocery a LONG way away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Most USB mice (mouses?)

One mouse, two mice.
One house, two hice?

"I hate meeses to pieces!"

-- Mr Jinx

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Most USB mice (mouses?)

One mouse, two mice.

I thought that only applied to rodents.

I have heard (and read) both.

Geoff.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Most USB mice (mouses?)

One mouse, two mice.

I thought that only applied to rodents.
I have heard (and read) both.

I've always used mice for both but the consensus seems to that either
is acceptable:
http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmouses.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_plural_of_%27mouse%27_on_a_computer
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mouse

So, if I have a pair of dice, is one of them a douse?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 7, 9:27*am, Robert Macy wrote:
Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? *URL?

note someone recommended doing this in software with any type mouse,
but am not allowed to touch the system, only replace the hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&name=PS%2f2

Any of these suitable?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? URL?

note someone recommended doing this in software with any type mouse,
but am not allowed to touch the system, only replace the hardware.

There are lots of them at thrift shops.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, July 7, 2012 12:27:57 PM UTC-4, Robert Macy wrote:
Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? URL?

note someone recommended doing this in software with any type mouse,
but am not allowed to touch the system, only replace the hardware.

If you can figure out the exact spot where the break in the cable is, find someone who is good at cable splicing and has the proper tools. He can splice out the bad section. Also, if You can find some high quality 6 conductor cable of a similar type, you can have the technician splice in a new piece..

Using PS2 with Win98 is very old unsupported systems. There are no updates for security or performance improvements. You are at the time where a new system is required.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 8, 6:41*am, "Jerry G." wrote:
...snip...
If you can figure out the exact spot where the break in the cable is, find someone who is good at cable splicing and has the proper tools. He can splice out the bad section. Also, if You can find some high quality 6 conductor cable of a similar type, you can have the technician splice in a new piece.

Using PS2 with Win98 is very old unsupported systems. There are no updates for security or performance improvements. You are at the time where a new system is required.

The plug is molded making connections a pain.

The end that breaks [usually] is near the mouse where all the flexing
occurs. I've been 'nibbling' away, shortning the cable to bypass
breaks and thinning. But, the cable's too short now and I'm too tired
to do that, just want a fistfull of replacement cables.

Appreciate comment about 'time for new system' but ...too many reasons
NOT to and not a SINGLE reason to replace.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 7, 9:13*pm, wrote:
On Jul 7, 9:27*am, Robert Macy wrote:

Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? *URL?

note someone recommended doing this in software with any type mouse,
but am not allowed to touch the system, only replace the hardware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NE&N=100008652....

Any of these suitable?

WOW! didn't even know this outlet existed. really close, so close, may
just get a box of those.

Thanks for the URL
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bw bw is offline

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? URL?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Fe...item2ebaa8f1fb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 8, 8:58*pm, "bw" wrote:
"Robert Macy" wrote in message

Got a scroll mouse with thumb button, which calls up magnifier.

from constant flexing, the cable is getting verrrry thin and causes
the Win98 system to hang as the keyboard and mouse lock up.

Solution replace mouse with good one, or replace [means rewire] with
good mouse cable. Sadly, I've gone through the box of mice I have and
now need some more.

Where to get PS2 mice? *URL?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Fe...on-Scroll-Mous...

Thanks, that could be it. can't tell looks ok the pic shows left,
right, scroll, but didn't see the 3rd button.

3.49 right price.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

While pigtail cables aren't a mass-market item, extension cables
are. Check out
http://www.pimfg.com/Product/PS-2-Keyboard-Cables
for a few possibilities.
Making connections inside the mouse, you might end up
splicing wires, alas, at least one more time.

On Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:57:08 AM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:

The plug is molded making connections a pain.

The end that breaks [usually] is near the mouse where all the flexing
occurs. ... just want a fistfull of replacement cables.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 16, 9:43*am, whit3rd wrote:
While pigtail cables aren't a * mass-market item, extension cables
are. *Check out
http://www.pimfg.com/Product/PS-2-Keyboard-Cables
for a few possibilities.
Making connections inside the mouse, you might end up
splicing wires, alas, at least one more time.

On Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:57:08 AM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:
The plug is molded making connections a pain.

The end that breaks [usually] is near the mouse where all the flexing
occurs. ... just want a fistfull of replacement cables.

Didn't think of that! Thansk for the URL. Prices are right in range
with expectations, too. I can keep shortening the 'bad' cable and keep
the extension intact.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

On Jul 16, 9:43 am, whit3rd wrote:
While pigtail cables aren't a mass-market item, extension cables
are. Check out
http://www.pimfg.com/Product/PS-2-Keyboard-Cables
for a few possibilities.
Making connections inside the mouse, you might end up
splicing wires, alas, at least one more time.

On Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:57:08 AM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:
The plug is molded making connections a pain.

The end that breaks [usually] is near the mouse where all the flexing
occurs. ... just want a fistfull of replacement cables.

Didn't think of that! Thansk for the URL. Prices are right in range
with expectations, too. I can keep shortening the 'bad' cable and keep
the extension intact.

I buy USB extensions at 'Dollar tree' stores for $1.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 17, 7:48*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:

On Jul 16, 9:43 am, whit3rd wrote:
While pigtail cables aren't a * mass-market item, extension cables
are. *Check out
http://www.pimfg.com/Product/PS-2-Keyboard-Cables
for a few possibilities.
Making connections inside the mouse, you might end up
splicing wires, alas, at least one more time.

On Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:57:08 AM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:
The plug is molded making connections a pain.

The end that breaks [usually] is near the mouse where all the flexing
occurs. ... just want a fistfull of replacement cables.

Didn't think of that! *Thansk for the URL. Prices are right in range
with expectations, too. I can keep shortening the 'bad' cable and keep
the extension intact.

* *I buy USB extensions at 'Dollar tree' stores for $1.

Didn't think of that either. Guess technology is univrsal now.

There's a Dollar Store nearby, I think.