Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

wrote in message

but MMO is a better alternative (all I used in my air tools for
YEARS.)

Could be a better alternative, then again, could be pure hype....

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=48952

And what's your point??

My point was that others certainly DO disagree.

Who dissagreed with me, other than you?????

"saltmine
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kingman Arizona

Having been in a business where I had to rely on air tools a lot, Given the
choice, I would opt for ATF in my tools. ATF is highly detergent, and low
viscosity, so it's near perfect for tools. I have also used oil that was
specifically designed for air tools. Aside from it being more expensive, and
sometimes not available, it's formulation is a close match for ATF.
One type of oil almost everybody, anywhere I worked used to use was "Marvel
Mystery Oil", Some shops kept it in gallon cans. Very popular."

===

learn to read, dummy...

Air tool oil is
"recommended" ATF can be used if you don't have air tool oil, and MMO
is also highly recommended - and one poster claimed CP repackaged MMO
as air tool oil - so where am I wrong????

What are you, ****ing retarded?

But I've been using transmission fluid in my air tools for for about 35
years now and have had a problem exactly once, with a cheap Chinese POS
that came as part of a package deal along with a backup compressor that
had bought at Sears.

And how hard do you use it?

Oftentimes, my die grinders are used 8 hours per day, for weeks at a time.

And impact guns, although they use the same basic motor as the
airgrinder and angle grinder, have totally different wear issues with
the impact heads - the hammers - and the impact loads also affect the
vane motors.

I think the one I mentioned above lasted a couple days was all.

On the other hand, my Dotco right andle grinder is going 35 years old and
has had only a single vane replacement.

if soaking some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) doesn't free it up, take it
apart and clean and oil everything well and it should work. I've had
mine apart several times over the decades, and replaced broken hammers
and all kinds of parts.

Kind of makes me wonder why it keeps breaking.....

OK jerk.

Forget to take your meds this morning did you ?

No - but you have an annoying habit of being a condescending JERK
whenever I post anything.

Actually, YOUR initial reply to me was condescending--at exactly the point
where you took issue with my mentioning ATF which, incidentally, may very
well work better where the goal is to free a gummed up tool.

That 734 was 20 years old when I bought it. It was used by a
race-team pit crew on CO2 for several years. Then I used it every day
- and I used it hard. I rebuilt it twice in 26 years. Plus replacing
one hammer unit that broke. And that was running 125-150 PSI line
pressure on farm equipment, trucks, industrial equipment AND cars.

That CP is still in my tool box - and it was made back in the fifties.

Whatever you do, DON'T put red dye in your air-tool-oil...

Back then any part for a CP734 was available
off of just about any good tool jobber's truck.