Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 16:01:03 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:53:02 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Picked up my impact wrench (1/2") and it stopped working. Pull the
trigger and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No rotation.

Is this worth tearing into? Could something be gummed up, not letting air
flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing things but I've never been
inside an air tool.
All advise appreciated. BTW, the gun does not have that many hours on it.
9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per year.

Pouring transmission fluid into the intake and letting it soak in for a
spell will oftentimes free them up.

Has the tool been lubricated in use? Air tool oil is preferred - ATF
works in a pinch,

Others might disagree.

Disagree with what? That Air Tool oil is preferred, or that ATF is an
acceptable substitute?

but MMO is a better alternative (all I used in my air tools for YEARS.)

Could be a better alternative, then again, could be pure hype....

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=48952

And what's your point??

But I've been using transmission fluid in my air tools for for about 35 years now and have had a problem exactly once, with a cheap Chinese POS that came as part of a package deal along with a backup compressor that I had bought at Sears.

And how hard do you use it?

if soaking some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) doesn't free it up, take it
apart and clean and oil everything well and it should work. I've had
mine apart several times over the decades, and replaced broken hammers
and all kinds of parts.

Kind of makes me wonder why it keeps breaking.....

OK jerk. That 734 was 20 years old when I bought it. It was used by a
race-team pit crew on CO2 for several years. Then I used it every day
- and I used it hard. I rebuilt it twice in 26 years. Plus replacing
one hammer unit that broke. And that was running 125-150 PSI line
pressure on farm equipment, trucks, industrial equipment AND cars.

That CP is still in my tool box - and it was made back in the fifties.
Back then any part for a CP734 was available
off of just about any good tool jobber's truck.