Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 21:53:02 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Picked up my impact wrench (1/2") and it stopped working. Pull
the trigger and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No
rotation.

Is this worth tearing into? Could something be gummed up, not
letting air flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing
things but I've never been inside an air tool. All advise
appreciated. BTW, the gun does not have that many hours on it.
9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per
year.

Pouring transmission fluid into the intake and letting it soak in
for a spell will oftentimes free them up.

Has the tool been lubricated in use? Air tool oil is preferred -
ATF works in a pinch,

Others might disagree.

but MMO is a better alternative (all I used in my air tools for
YEARS.)

Could be a better alternative, then again, could be pure hype....

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=48952

But I've been using transmission fluid in my air tools for for about
35 years now and have had a problem exactly once, with a cheap
Chinese POS that came as part of a package deal along with a backup
compressor that I had bought at Sears.

if soaking some MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) doesn't free it up, take
it apart and clean and oil everything well and it should work. I've
had mine apart several times over the decades, and replaced broken
hammers and all kinds of parts.

Kind of makes me wonder why it keeps breaking.....

Back then any part for a CP734 was available off of just about any
good tool jobber's truck.

Back when the CP (Chicago Pneumatic) plant was still in Utica they
supplied "air tool oil" to the dealers and companies they sold through.
They would bring in bulk 55 gal drums and had a machine that then filled
whatever container the customer specified. The oil used was all the same
regardless as it was to CP spec. The bulk oil supplied came from the
Marvel Oil Company, and was SURPRISE : Marvel Mystery Oil. When they
were closing the place down I was still driving for a company that did
paint work for them and they were clearing stuff out by the dumpster
load. One of the items they were disposing of were cases of oil in old
sears logo containers. I remarked that it was a shame that it was
getting thrown out, went back got the paperwork for the stuff done and
came up to find the load off and the door closed. Hit the next delivery,
opened the door and found a PALLET with 20 cases of oil on it, in the
back !!!
I am still using that oil in the shop oilers.

--
Steve W.