Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 20:37:26 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Picked up my impact wrench (1/2") and it stopped working. Pull the trigger and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No rotation.

Is this worth tearing into? Could something be gummed up, not letting air flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing things but I've never been inside an air tool.
All advise appreciated. BTW, the gun does not have that many hours on it. 9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per year.

Ivan, it's usually gumming of the old oil and is usually a quick
repair. I like to relube with Marvel Mystery Oil for reassembly.

Get the manual, note the parts in the exploded view for reference, and
note the way the vanes sit in the cylinder. One edge will usually be
more rounded. Soak the metal parts in lacquer thinner for half an
hour, brush them with it using a nylon brush and let them dry. Relube
and reassemble. All done!

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732