Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench (air) repair

On 2012-07-06, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Picked up my impact wrench (1/2") and it stopped working. Pull the
trigger and all you get is air out of the exhaust. No rotation.

Is this worth tearing into? Could something be gummed up, not letting
air flow to wherever? I'm generally good at fixing things but I've
never been inside an air tool.

I would fix it, even though I have not yet been in an air tool
either. Just a matter of time until I get the excuse. :-)

All advise appreciated. BTW, the gun does not have that many hours on
it. 9 years with maybe changing two or three sets of wheels per year.

Do you squirt air tool oil into the fitting just before
connecting up the air *every* time?

Is your air dry, or full of water? If the latter, it will rust
which could be your problem.

What happens if you switch between forward and reverse a few
times? Does that break it free (with addition of oil, of course).

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564