Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fosdick drill press (5HP). Is it crazy to want to keep it.

Vice has to be bolted down, not sliding on the table.
When possible I use the back post as a already-stopped.

Nothing like drilling sheet metal - spinning disks of corners...

Clamping is a complex concept. Not only a pinch but a trap as well.

Martin

On 7/4/2012 3:22 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:05:52 -0500, Tim Wescott

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus26924 fired this volley
in :

This safety is a big issue, our guy who works on machinery needs to
drill a lot of quick and dirty holes, and I am afraid that something
bad may happen.

Ig, if he's not properly mounting goods on the Craftsman drill press,
"Something Bad" is going to happen anyway.

Instead of fretting, take just a little time to make up a fixturing
plate for the platen. Have it equipped with lots of bolt holes and
stop rod pockets. Get a cheap work clamping set. Such a layout will
be more effective than a vise for odds-n-ends work and irregularly
shaped stuff.

You're evenually going to have an injury on the Crapsman press, if your
worker is hand-holding. "Cheap and dirty" doesn't include unsafe
operating practices.

LLoyd

Yes, I will look for something. RIght now he uses a drill press vise,
but the vise itself is not held down in any way.

So you've arranged things that instead of getting whacked by a small
thing, he's going to get whacked by a big heavy thing?

Hmm.

Assuming fixed diameter of the drill bit, there's a lot more leverage
on the drill press, and a lot more mass to keep it from spinning up
quickly. He's probably got 'is hand on the vise to line it up.. so it
is (sort of) held down.

BTW, did you get my reply e-mail?