Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fosdick drill press (5HP). Is it crazy to want to keep it.

I recently bought a Fosdick 5HP drill press that looks like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/261031733484

(mine is a lot dirtier, of course).

Anyway, I paid $200 cash for it and I am well aware that I cannot sell
it for a lot of money, realistically the best I can get is $500-600.

At the same time, this is an awesome 5 HP, Kick-A$$ drill press with a
geared head, power feed, and so on and so forth.

So, my thinking goes, I can sell my Craftsman drill press for more
than I paid for this Fosdick, and keep the fosdick for shop use.

The only serious downside that I see is that, due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the material and it is not held
properly and securely.

The drill press is about 10 feet tall.

Comments? Can I have this Fosdick as the only DP that I have?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 20:16:19 -0500, Ignoramus26924
wrote:

I recently bought a Fosdick 5HP drill press that looks like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/261031733484

(mine is a lot dirtier, of course).

Anyway, I paid $200 cash for it and I am well aware that I cannot sell
it for a lot of money, realistically the best I can get is $500-600.

At the same time, this is an awesome 5 HP, Kick-A$$ drill press with a
geared head, power feed, and so on and so forth.

So, my thinking goes, I can sell my Craftsman drill press for more
than I paid for this Fosdick, and keep the fosdick for shop use.

The only serious downside that I see is that, due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the material and it is not held
properly and securely.

The drill press is about 10 feet tall.

Comments? Can I have this Fosdick as the only DP that I have?

That's an extremely nice drill press. I think tools like this are
great retirement investment. use it for twenty years and it will be
worth more than today. They don't make them like this anymore.

BTW your concern about a big press snatching is valid. My radial arm
pulled a large part out of the vice and then hit me hard. luckily, it
was in the belly and i got a lot of fat there.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26924" wrote in message
I recently bought a Fosdick 5HP drill press that looks like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/261031733484

(mine is a lot dirtier, of course).

Anyway, I paid $200 cash for it and I am well aware that I cannot sell
it for a lot of money, realistically the best I can get is $500-600.

At the same time, this is an awesome 5 HP, Kick-A$$ drill press with a
geared head, power feed, and so on and so forth.

So, my thinking goes, I can sell my Craftsman drill press for more
than I paid for this Fosdick, and keep the fosdick for shop use.

The only serious downside that I see is that, due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the material and it is not held
properly and securely.

The drill press is about 10 feet tall.

Comments? Can I have this Fosdick as the only DP that I have?

Those are pretty nice, I would suggest hang on to it of you have the room.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep. The scrap value of it is approximately $463. So I cannot possibly
lose money on this, but I can lose time.

BTW your concern about a big press snatching is valid. My radial arm
pulled a large part out of the vice and then hit me hard. luckily, it
was in the belly and i got a lot of fat there.

We have something in common, then.

This safety is a big issue, our guy who works on machinery needs to
drill a lot of quick and dirty holes, and I am afraid that something
bad may happen.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nice big table on that Fosdick to secure the work to, which is something you
should ALWAYS do...

Also, it's less likely to grab when the drill breaks through if you use the
power feed and have supported the work on the underside so that it not
possible for it to have been deflected downward.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Ignoramus26924" wrote in message
I recently bought a Fosdick 5HP drill press that looks like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/261031733484

(mine is a lot dirtier, of course).

Anyway, I paid $200 cash for it and I am well aware that I cannot sell
it for a lot of money, realistically the best I can get is $500-600.

At the same time, this is an awesome 5 HP, Kick-A$$ drill press with a
geared head, power feed, and so on and so forth.

So, my thinking goes, I can sell my Craftsman drill press for more
than I paid for this Fosdick, and keep the fosdick for shop use.

The only serious downside that I see is that, due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the material and it is not held
properly and securely.

The drill press is about 10 feet tall.

Comments? Can I have this Fosdick as the only DP that I have?

We had a similar Giddings and Lewis 4 MT drill press. Awesome machine, but I
would keep a smaller drill press as well. You can drill small holes with it,
but you're always working across a big table, it's not the most practical
setup. Why not just keep both?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 7:18:36 AM UTC-4, ATP wrote:

We had a similar Giddings and Lewis 4 MT drill press. Awesome machine, but I
would keep a smaller drill press as well. You can drill small holes with it,
but you're always working across a big table, it's not the most practical
setup. Why not just keep both?

I would keep both if you have the room. I have two drill presses and a mill/drill and find the one I use most is a little bench model. For a lot of things it is more convenient. It is quicker to change speeds on the small drill press and it has higher speeds which go with drilling small diameter holes. You will not be drilling any .040 holes with your large drill press..
Last night I used it to cross drill some round stock for a cotter pin in a temporary axle. Part of the reason I use it the most is that it is located with better lighting and I have a stool in front of it so usually use it sitting down. It is also less work to run the table up and down than it is on the large drill press.

I also keep a couple of fiber brushes that are impregnated with abrasive by the small drill press and use them for removing slight surface rust on things. I set it to a high rpm when using those. Which reminds me. I have three bench grinders. One ten inch one with coarse and fine wheels. One 8 inch with a wire brush and a abrasive disk. And another 8 inch with a rubber sanding drum and a fine wheel. On that one I replaced the tool rests with some plywood and have it marked with a line at 59 degrees. And use the fine wheel for touching up drill bits by hand. Changing the sand paper on the drum is pretty quick, but I hardly ever change any of the other things. I also have a 1 by 42 inch belt sander which I use when it is the best tool for the job.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't underestimate the Craftsman drill press. It's still a machine
tool, even if it looks like a toy next to the Fosdick.

If you are drilling lots of holes, make sure you have an adequate and
*convenient* clamping system. Like an air activated vise. And/or a
guard of some kind.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26924 fired this volley in
:

This safety is a big issue, our guy who works on machinery needs to
drill a lot of quick and dirty holes, and I am afraid that something
bad may happen.

Ig, if he's not properly mounting goods on the Craftsman drill press,
"Something Bad" is going to happen anyway.

Instead of fretting, take just a little time to make up a fixturing plate
for the platen. Have it equipped with lots of bolt holes and stop rod
pockets. Get a cheap work clamping set. Such a layout will be more
effective than a vise for odds-n-ends work and irregularly shaped stuff.

You're evenually going to have an injury on the Crapsman press, if your
worker is hand-holding. "Cheap and dirty" doesn't include unsafe
operating practices.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus26924 fired this volley in
:

This safety is a big issue, our guy who works on machinery needs to
drill a lot of quick and dirty holes, and I am afraid that something
bad may happen.

Ig, if he's not properly mounting goods on the Craftsman drill press,
"Something Bad" is going to happen anyway.

Instead of fretting, take just a little time to make up a fixturing plate
for the platen. Have it equipped with lots of bolt holes and stop rod
pockets. Get a cheap work clamping set. Such a layout will be more
effective than a vise for odds-n-ends work and irregularly shaped stuff.

You're evenually going to have an injury on the Crapsman press, if your
worker is hand-holding. "Cheap and dirty" doesn't include unsafe
operating practices.

LLoyd

Yes, I will look for something. RIght now he uses a drill press vise,
but the vise itself is not held down in any way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16441 wrote:

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

More rotating mass to get thrown across the room...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:46:28 -0500, Ignoramus16441 wrote:

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

So you've arranged things that instead of getting whacked by a small
thing, he's going to get whacked by a big heavy thing?

Hmm.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 08:48:09 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Ignoramus26924 fired this volley
in :

This safety is a big issue, our guy who works on machinery needs to
drill a lot of quick and dirty holes, and I am afraid that something
bad may happen.

Ig, if he's not properly mounting goods on the Craftsman drill press,
"Something Bad" is going to happen anyway.

Instead of fretting, take just a little time to make up a fixturing
plate for the platen. Have it equipped with lots of bolt holes and stop
rod pockets. Get a cheap work clamping set. Such a layout will be more
effective than a vise for odds-n-ends work and irregularly shaped stuff.

You're evenually going to have an injury on the Crapsman press, if your
worker is hand-holding. "Cheap and dirty" doesn't include unsafe
operating practices.

Could one work toggle clamps into a setup like that, to speed getting
things held down?

I'm envisioning something that's toggle clamp on the top, and fit for a T-
slot on the bottom, that you can just slide in and clamp.

Or would it add more danger than it subtracts?

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Assuming fixed diameter of the drill bit, there's a lot more leverage
on the drill press, and a lot more mass to keep it from spinning up
quickly. He's probably got 'is hand on the vise to line it up.. so it
is (sort of) held down.

BTW, did you get my reply e-mail?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:07:32 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

I've got a few of those that fit into the slots on the drill press
table.

Like some of these ones:

http://www.justclamps.com/driipress_clamp.htm

The thing that scares me is drilling through thin sharp sheet metal
with a BF drill-- it tends to ride up the drill and/or spin like a
baloney/artery slicer as you break through.

With a substantial vise, most drill bits I use are small enough that
they will either twist off in the work or the belts will slip before
the workpiece/vise could get out of control.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
Ignoramus26924 fired this
volley in :

[...]

Yes I did, and clearly I forgot to thank you for it.

Thank you!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cool clamps.

I have to admit, when the hole is well inside of the workpiece, I
generally drill sheet metal with a technique that I would never teach to
an employee or anyone else who might sue me, turn me in to the workplace
safety people, or otherwise inconvenience my life.

I set everything up, then I hold the workpiece down with my finger tips
in such a way that if it rides up on the bit it doesn't immediately slice
through my hand -- it just pushes my fingers up along with this.

If the work piece has any sharp corners or if I'm drilling close to the
edge, though, I clamp.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:37:45 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Yes I did, and clearly I forgot to thank you for it.

Thank you!

You're welcome. I don't trust MS Exchange Server any further than I
could throw it in a weird phase-loss brownout situtation like that.
And I could throw it quite a distance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And, it does a bad job on the sheet metal. Solution is a Unibit.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have pretty much made up my mind about this drill press. I like it
and I am not going to scrap it ($460) or sell for near scrap price.

What I am going to do is clean it up, put it in my "machine shop", and
list it for sale for some hefty amount, such as $1,900 or some such.

Two things will happen, either someone will like or need it so much
that they will make me rich, or, alternatively, I will be getting good
use out of it. I will also keep the Craftsman.

I also think that some of the people who visit me may like this press
installed in my shop, so, installing it would do me a double service.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Vice has to be bolted down, not sliding on the table.
When possible I use the back post as a already-stopped.

Nothing like drilling sheet metal - spinning disks of corners...

Clamping is a complex concept. Not only a pinch but a trap as well.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 9:16:19 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus26924 wrote:
I recently bought a Fosdick 5HP drill press that looks like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/261031733484

(mine is a lot dirtier, of course).

Anyway, I paid $200 cash for it and I am well aware that I cannot sell
it for a lot of money, realistically the best I can get is $500-600.

At the same time, this is an awesome 5 HP, Kick-A$$ drill press with a
geared head, power feed, and so on and so forth.

So, my thinking goes, I can sell my Craftsman drill press for more
than I paid for this Fosdick, and keep the fosdick for shop use.

The only serious downside that I see is that, due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the material and it is not held
properly and securely.

The drill press is about 10 feet tall.

Comments? Can I have this Fosdick as the only DP that I have?

I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING YOUR FOSDICK

CAN I SEE A PHOTO?

HOW MUCH QUILL TRAVEL 12"

CAN YOU EMAIL PHOTOS

KEN DONNAY
ARROWHEAD MACHINERY
586-214-4406

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26924 wrote:
[...]

Sheesh.... I heard him all the way up here! ;)}

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The only serious downside that I see is that,
due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the
material and it is not held
properly and securely.

Hold the material properly and securely.

Problem solved.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:34:33 PM UTC-4, Larry Kraus wrote:

Anyone near Humble Texas?

Ebay number 321699433124

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:59:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

321699433124

Im trying to figure out where all the parts came from. Raising
mechanism for the arm?

I was using a Cincinnati about that same size for the past couple
weeks

https://plus.google.com/photos/10404...82269066802602

PJ O'Rourke