Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

Nightjar wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 04/07/2012 13:16, Tim wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 03/07/2012 22:07, James wrote:
I'd assumed everything except the plastic bit was cast iron, but I've
just been up and tried to stick a fridge magnet to it, and it doesn't
stick. It doesn't stick to the soil stack outside either.

Abestos? Or maybe I need a stronger magnet...

You can tell how much heat treatment cast iron has had by changes in
its
magnetic properties, so don't expect it to react like mild steel.
Thick
layers of paint also reduce the grip of most magnets. I suggest a
*much* stronger magnet.

Colin Bignell

I think TNPs right though. Looks like a clay pipe to me. Scraping a
bit of
paint off would be a good start.

Clay would be an odd choice for connecting to an external soil stack.

Not at all. That's what my parents house built in 1953 had: cast stack
and a clay branch ...

Iron is /was expensive and plastic didn't exist,..

For 10 years after the war, there was strict rationing of building
materials, which lead to some odd practices.

As for plastic, Germany still has some PVC water and waste pipes that
were installed between 1936 and 1941. They became available in Britain
and America around 1950, when the manufacturing processes had been refined.

I tend to remember PVC as a sixties thing..plastic pakamaks.

50's? airfix toys and thats it.

Styrene

Colin Bignell

and how hard it is to achieve it.