Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Fosdick drill press (5HP). Is it crazy to want to keep it.

On 2012-07-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus26924 fired this volley in
:

This safety is a big issue, our guy who works on machinery needs to
drill a lot of quick and dirty holes, and I am afraid that something
bad may happen.

Ig, if he's not properly mounting goods on the Craftsman drill press,
"Something Bad" is going to happen anyway.

Instead of fretting, take just a little time to make up a fixturing plate
for the platen. Have it equipped with lots of bolt holes and stop rod
pockets. Get a cheap work clamping set. Such a layout will be more
effective than a vise for odds-n-ends work and irregularly shaped stuff.

You're evenually going to have an injury on the Crapsman press, if your
worker is hand-holding. "Cheap and dirty" doesn't include unsafe
operating practices.

LLoyd

Yes, I will look for something. RIght now he uses a drill press vise,

--- but the vise itself is not held down in any way.

More rotating mass to get thrown across the room...