Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

On 04/07/2012 13:16, Tim wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 03/07/2012 22:07, James wrote:
I'd assumed everything except the plastic bit was cast iron, but I've
just been up and tried to stick a fridge magnet to it, and it doesn't
stick. It doesn't stick to the soil stack outside either.

Abestos? Or maybe I need a stronger magnet...

You can tell how much heat treatment cast iron has had by changes in its
magnetic properties, so don't expect it to react like mild steel. Thick
layers of paint also reduce the grip of most magnets. I suggest a *much* stronger magnet.

Colin Bignell

I think TNPs right though. Looks like a clay pipe to me. Scraping a bit of
paint off would be a good start.

Clay would be an odd choice for connecting to an external soil stack.

Colin Bignell