Posted to uk.d-i-y
James[_31_] James[_31_] is offline

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

On 2012-07-04 12:16:52 +0000, Tim said:

Nightjar wrote:

You can tell how much heat treatment cast iron has had by changes in its
magnetic properties, so don't expect it to react like mild steel. Thick
layers of paint also reduce the grip of most magnets. I suggest a
*much* stronger magnet.

Colin Bignell

Predictably enough, the "much stronger magnet" that I remember
salvaging from something a couple of years ago has completely
disappeared.

I think TNPs right though. Looks like a clay pipe to me. Scraping a bit of
paint off would be a good start.

Good idea. This is what it looks like under the paint:

http://tinypic.com/r/1986qh/6

It's not cold to the touch. I'm beginning to suspect that Tim and TNP
are right.

If it's clay, how practical is it to cut without damage? Chain-style
pipe cutter?

Failing that, is the outside joint likely to come apart?

--
James