Posted to uk.d-i-y
James[_31_] James[_31_] is offline

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

On 2012-07-03 21:14:31 +0000, ARWadsworth said:

A photo from outside might give more clues.

Not much to see out there at the moment, but I'll take one when it's light.

Ok -- here's a couple more pictures of outside:

http://tinypic.com/r/kef4gi/6

http://tinypic.com/r/29zzlvs/6

It's noticeable that there's no rust on the pipework, which I suppose
may suggest it's not cast iron. Look at the top section of the second
picture where the paint has come of. It doesn't look like metal to me,
at least from a distance. Next door's soil stack is identical but has
lost a lot more paint, and that hasn't rusted either.

The white plastic pipe is coming from a Saniflo at the front of the
house and will be removed when I do the bathroom.

As an aside, and for the benefit of future readers searching the
archives for helpful advice about macerating toilets:

If you move into a house with a Saniflo, assume that you'll want to put
it in a skip within the first year of living there.

Anything you read online about them being (quite literally) full of
**** is entirely true. Unless you live in a converted basement, you do
not want a Saniflo, however badly you need another bathroom. Move house
instead.

--

James