Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Fosdick drill press (5HP). Is it crazy to want to keep it.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 20:16:19 -0500, Ignoramus26924
wrote:

I recently bought a Fosdick 5HP drill press that looks like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/261031733484

(mine is a lot dirtier, of course).

Anyway, I paid $200 cash for it and I am well aware that I cannot sell
it for a lot of money, realistically the best I can get is $500-600.

At the same time, this is an awesome 5 HP, Kick-A$$ drill press with a
geared head, power feed, and so on and so forth.

So, my thinking goes, I can sell my Craftsman drill press for more
than I paid for this Fosdick, and keep the fosdick for shop use.

The only serious downside that I see is that, due to its great power,
it is dangerous if the drill bit grabs the material and it is not held
properly and securely.

The drill press is about 10 feet tall.

Comments? Can I have this Fosdick as the only DP that I have?

That's an extremely nice drill press. I think tools like this are
great retirement investment. use it for twenty years and it will be
worth more than today. They don't make them like this anymore.

BTW your concern about a big press snatching is valid. My radial arm
pulled a large part out of the vice and then hit me hard. luckily, it
was in the belly and i got a lot of fat there.

Karl