Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

On 2012-07-03 20:50:57 +0000, ARWadsworth said:

Is that a lead waste pipe to a cast iron soil stack?

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's lead, although having never
knowingly seen a lead waste pipe I'm happy to be proved wrong.

For some reason that TinyPic link brings up a zoomed-in version of the
photo. If you click on the image then you get a better view.

There's a modern pan connector shoved into what looks like a bit of
plastic pipe, which goes into the collar at a strange angle, then loads
of putty and sealant packed around them all.

I'd assumed everything except the plastic bit was cast iron, but I've
just been up and tried to stick a fridge magnet to it, and it doesn't
stick. It doesn't stick to the soil stack outside either.

Abestos? Or maybe I need a stronger magnet...

James

Cement asbestos used to be used sometimes for things like rainfall
downpipes in factories and garages, but I have never come across it used
in soil pipes. If it's not magnetic my money would be on (relatively)
modern plastic (usually ABS or PVC). I *think* the sizes for soil pipes
are to a British Standard so modern parts should mix and match. This
isn't true for sink wastes which were a real dogs breakfast when they
came in in the 1960's and 70's. Who was it made the awful brown stuff?