Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus9096 Ignoramus9096 is offline

Default weld this to that

On 2012-07-02, Steve B wrote:
I want to weld a 3/4" shackle to a 3/4" round rod of cold rolled steel. I
intend to use 7018.

What can I expect in brittleness?

I cold bent the 3/4" rod into a J shape for a hook to skid logs. I used my
bare hands. Nah, I used a cheater bar. Well, actually, a friend and I were
required with an 8' cheater pipe. I was really impressed.

There isn't much of a way to make an attachment point without some welding,
and I know that will affect the properties. I just wonder how much I am
going to lose.

This will be fun to field test in a DT or UUF mode. (Destructive Testing,
and Use Until Failure)

Steve

Will the loads be anywhere close to the working load rating of the
shackle?

If not, I personally would not worry too much.