Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Warm Enough

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Mike O. wrote in
news:kvr1v71pamehnqrq62pnpir4b14kelm9rn@ 4ax.com:

Globally, the 20 warmest years have all occurred since 1987.

Oddly enough, they've all occurred since the collapse of the Soviet
Union -- and the consequent shutdown of a large number of temperature
monitoring stations in one of the coldest parts of the world, because
the Russians could no longer afford to maintain them.

Ya think that might skew the average a bit higher?

I'd hope that they use a correction factor for that of some kind.
OTOH, when my parents moved their last time, in 1947, the street was
dirt, as were many of the adjoining streets, however small their number
was. Since, the streets have all been blacktopped, and widened. Moreover
the surface area of paved roads in Holland has probably been increased
10-20 fold if not more. Somewhere there ought to be statistics on that.
When you pave dirt with blacktop, build housing (read roofs), you
probably increase the heat retention of those surface several fold. That
same process has occurred throughout the world. Nowadays every family
has 2 cars, where they used to have a few bicycles. Almost everyone now
has A/C, which doesn't use up heat, but produces it. Reminder: In 1976
almost no subway cars in New York City had A/C. Now they all do - ergo
lots of net heat production. All that without invoking green house
gases. Add those to the mix, and it is no wonder that things on average
over the whole world are getting warmer. Yes, Earth's climate has in the
geological past gotten warmer and colder, even in historical scales. But
please, PLEASE, do understand that we are affecting things ON TOP OF
NORMAL CLIMATE changes.

As far as sea level changes are concerned, perhaps you don't care now
that sea levels are increasing. Rest assured that much planning and
preparing is going on in Holland, where half the country would be
inundated if all the current sea-defenses were inoperable. Ask London
City government whether they like another 1953.

--
Best regards
Han