Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Warm Enough

So the fact that glaciers are melting means nothing.

Chamonix's glaciers have disappeared. I remember watching how the
glacier that the Olympics were held on in 72 I think if I remember are gone.

Yes it could be just a phase. Like how England's phase of pollution
caused problems there.

All in all, I remember winters differently. I remember colder, I
remember more consistent snow. I also remember years with little snow.

While I don't think that in itself in indicative, I do believe the wild
swings are. Again, we have had 3 x 100 year floods in a couple of years.
Those types of floods were literally once per hundred.

I guess the ozone depletion at the poles is nothing also.

Yes that is measured. But your right there is no .. .absolutely no proof

I don't believe in hysteria, but I do believe that this earth while huge
can only absorb so much toxicity. Millions of years ago these toxins
were at the surface. But the earth transformed. We in a 100 years have
reversed many millions of years. Add to that natural occurring
phenomena, and we have put a load on the atmosphere and it is saying ,
hey , I can't convert this crap. Add the loss of forests, first in
Europe centuries ago, now in the Americas, and our ability to filter or
turn the toxins around is diminished. The way the forests are being
burned in the southern hemisphere just adds to the problem.

Keep believing what you want. You sound like the guys that believed the
tobacco companies. I had worked for companies that lied so badly, I
don't trust most. I know what they do, and how far they are willing to
go. My first dose of it came in the aviation and space industry. Later
in the Pharma. Trust the oil companies? Not on your life. Remember the
phony oil crisis? Remember the tobacco guys. Cigs don't cause lung
cancer. Fracking, it doesn't hurt the water supply. Why did GW relax the
clean water act for those guys then?

I guess it depends on which side you want to stand on. But I'd like to
leave my son a world that has a chance. If you are wrong, he won't have
that chance. If I am wrong, I did nothing wrong, and was a good steward.
If your wrong you couldn't give a rats ass you'll be dead.

I think that we can survive and prosper with proper conservation.
Certainly all our plastics are not necessary. We survived many years
without the packaging we do now in the stores. Our garbage is out of
control...

Lew maybe the extreme zealot, but everyone should consider that it is a
real possibility. If you are wrong and thought it not happening your
actions may be irreversible. If you believed and did what you could and
were wrong, what harm did you do to?

Take __some responsibility__ and think that it is possible, and I should
do more to lessen my footprint.

On 7/1/2012 1:26 PM, CW wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4fefb356$0$44942
:

Take your choice, wild fires in the west or oppressive heat waves thru
out much of the rest of the country, global warming is upon us.

Shall we continue to ignore the effect of green house gases?

Lew

I'm not sure we have enough information to make a really informed
determination of what's going on. We've really only kept detailed
weather records on a national or even global scale for the past couple
hundred years at most, which could just be a "mood" the planet is going
through considering its apparent age.

From my time on this planet, heat waves during the summer are normal.
Don't see how global warming will affect that. It'll be 90 one week and
100 the next, that's just movement of the jet stream. If the jet stream
shifts to bring air down from Canada, it'll cool down again.
You are talking to someone who prays to Al Gore before going to bed at
night.