Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WTH? Should I buy a Volt?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 21:32:16 -0700 (PDT), bob haller wrote:

On Jun 29, 10:38*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:32:47 -0500, Vic Smith

wrote:
Owners seem happy with the climate control, but you might not be.
A/C or heat naturally knocks a few miles off the battery range.
Like they say, the only reason you need to divorce your wife is she
doesn't cut the salami how you like it cut.
Plenty of Volt info here.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdispla...wnership-Forum
Close to 20k Volts are on the road.
It's a technological marvel, produced by an American company.
I like that.
It's really the first car out of my chosen car price range that I ever
wanted.
Never wanted a Vette, never wanted a Caddy, a Merc or a Lambo.
I always get a kick from fixing my own and driving cheaper than just
about anybody else. *Different strokes.
Too bad it's still so expensive. *I'll survive without it.

Right now, the Volt is not too practical as it won't make my daily
commute and is very expensive. *Unlike others, I don't really knock
that car at all. *Remember the Wright Flyer? *That was not all that
practical either, but is seems to have evolved into something or
practical use from what I've seen at airports.

I really hope Tesla gets going too. *They seem to be ahead of the
Volt, but are also about 20k pricier.

As for heat:
At ambient temperatures of approximately 25° F (–4° C) or below, the
ICE will operate to assist in warming the coolant used to warm the
vehicle’s cabin. After the coolant temperature reaches approximately
150° F (65° C), the ICE will turn off and remain off (as long as the
battery state of charge is sufficient) until the engine coolant
temperature drops to approximately 104° F (40° C), at which time the
ICE will restart. This function will continue as long as the ambient
temperature is approximately 25° F (–4° C) or less while driving.
After the ambient temperature rises above approximately 25° F (–4° C),
the vehicle will resume normal electric operation (as long as the
battery state of charge is sufficient).

And the AC:
If the temperature gets into the mid-80s or above, the car turns on
the A/C in cycles to cool the battery (which would really rather live
in the 70s...) You will get cold air from the vents during this cycle
if the climate control is set to lower than ambient, but that's just a
side effect.

Overall, a complex systemhttp://gm-volt.com/2010/12/09/the-chevrolet-volt-coolingheating-syste...

anything that cuts us dependenmce on foreign oil is a good thing.....

You mean like drilling in ANWR, the gulf, the Atlantic Shelf, California, and
of course building the Keystone XL. Oh, and coal, and nuke, and...