Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default WTH? Should I buy a Volt?

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 22:41:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:05:24 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

As for buying a Volt, with that rate the payback would only be about
20 years.

I figured more like 83.33 years. Based on estimated electric savings
of $40 a month and paying $40k for the Volt.
I'm going to pass on the Volt.

I was using the difference between the Volt and a comparable gasoline
sedan. You should check to see if GM is offering special financing on
the Volt. If you can get 1000 months at 0%, it would be worth it.

I didn't subtract for a comparable gasoline car because I have a
couple of them already, but I get what you're saying.
I would have only knocked off $4-6k anyway, which is what I expect to
pay for my next car, maybe a few years from now.

I did see one in the wild and it was a good looking car. I have to
wonder though, just how good is the heat on a freezing day or the AC
on a 90+ degree day. I like good climate control.

Owners seem happy with the climate control, but you might not be.
A/C or heat naturally knocks a few miles off the battery range.
Like they say, the only reason you need to divorce your wife is she
doesn't cut the salami how you like it cut.
Plenty of Volt info here.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdispla...wnership-Forum
Close to 20k Volts are on the road.
It's a technological marvel, produced by an American company.
I like that.
It's really the first car out of my chosen car price range that I ever
wanted.
Never wanted a Vette, never wanted a Caddy, a Merc or a Lambo.
I always get a kick from fixing my own and driving cheaper than just
about anybody else. Different strokes.
Too bad it's still so expensive. I'll survive without it.

--
Vic