Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Windows 8 trial

On 29/06/2012 10:15, Steve Firth wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote:
"Andrew May" wrote in message

Let me get this right. Microsoft have given you a Windows 8 trial that
will at some point expire. At this point you either have to pay for the
release version or your PC will be useless because there is no
facility for returning to XP. Nice.

Its a preview.
They tell you to make sure you can revert using whatever method you like
before you install it.
Its like linux, they don't provide a method to revert either.
You either reinstall or restore a backup.

More den********(tm). Linux distros are available that are designed
explicitly for those who want to try before they commit irrevocably to a
full install of the OS. These distros offer fully reversible options such
as live CDs, installations that run only from ram disk or dual boot.

OK, but I installed Ubuntu from a live disc, after making a new
partition or two, to make a dual boot Win 7 64-bit (spit) system, but
there was no easy way to remove the Ubuntu OS after I found that it did
not work well with the hardware, and kept crashing. I had to delete the
Ubuntu partition and repair the Win boot sector / manager using a
Windows 7 64-bit install disc downloaded from M$. But then I'm not fully
up to speed with computer terminology and may have got it all wrong...

David