Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Dust free place to apply poly

I use my Festool sanders and Festool dust extractor,
not dust to remove! ;~)

I have my Dewalt ROS attached to my shop vac and it leaves behind virtually
no dust either.

Oh hell - I use my air hose. Works like a top!

I've never understood the air hose method. It may temporarily clear the
dust off the work piece, but it also gets blown into the air where I'll
breathe it in or have it settle back on the work piece.

Next time, once you finish vacuuming, wipe the workpiece with a
microfiber cloth to see how much dust the vacuum failed to pick up.

I actually did that recently while finishing some cabinets for my in-laws.
I received a free microfiber cloth with a Rockler order and decided to try
it out. There was a VERY minor bit of dust left from the shop vac, but not
enough to worry about. On the other hand, some woods (especially birch
plywood) really snags the cloth, even when sanded smooth. Not to mention,
the veneers are already so thin I try not to go too crazy sanding.

It'll work even better if you use a microfiber cloth between coats,
instead of the shop vac. Vacuum cleaners work very well for sawdust,
but they really aren't very good at picking up the very fine dust left
by sanding with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper.

If I was working on an heirloom piece of furniture, that level of detail
might make sense. But, I'm usually building cabinets or other utility
furniture that doesn't have to be perfect. For my needs, the shop vac and
brush attachment work great. The brush loosens up any stubborn dust, and I
have a fine filter bag in the vac to prevent the dust from being blown back
into the air.

Anthony