Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Communication wiring for a new house

In article , Rod Speed
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 23:18:26 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Is it actually worth installing telephone, or does everyone just use
mobiles or VOIP now?

landline phone please

+1

Done away with that, much cheaper and better...

Mobiles "much cheaper and better..."?

We get our BB via VM co-axial (20 meg to go up to 40 before long) )and I
must say its been very good and reliable. We also have a backup feed to
that via a radio link. We now use VoIP for the landline phone and its
been excellent. If for any reason the BB should fall down it will
automatically divert to the mobile which is on 24/7. I can now configure
a lot on this system and get charged sod all line rental around a quid a
month ported our number, calls that are charged by the second and
cheaper than most any other carrier,

I get untimed calls for 9c for the entire call anywhere in the
country and to britain, the US, china and singapore too.

Save me looking it up whats that in GBP?..

mobile to landline rates much
cheaper and best of all no "connection charge"

I can access my account for billing and see who has called etc if
required, and their VoIPfone customer service is streets quicker than
the major carriers. And best of all they have a very useful divert
line...

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Voipfone_1...sales_Tool.mp4

Not IMHO, there is an awful delay, the codecs produce terrible quality
audio,
that's assuming the signal is strong and stable enough for enough data to
arrive for the audio to be reconstructed in the first place.

I really don't know what the service is like up there Dave or
what network your on but I use a Nokia 6303 and its fine.

Yeah, I dont get anything like that with any of the Nokia 5110.
6310 or N95 8GB.

OK their might be times when calls break up a bit

Doesnt happen here.

Course it must a country of that size I'm sure they don't bother to
cover all of it do they?.

but its very few and far between and
only these days right out in the country...

Dont get that here. You either have coverage or you dont.

And in between you have signal break-ups..

Power failure at local cell and the service stops and may not return when
the
power comes back. One cell around here was off for weeks recently after
power
problems. That's not the first time that power glitches have knocked out
cells for a while (days) after the power has been restored. Varies
randomly
by network so you can't say that network X will come back with the power
as
next time as it might not.

Well seeing where you live and how remote that is I expect you'll have
to accept that. Here mains failures around three in 10 years one of them
caused by the builders next door and I've yet to see major faults around
this way of the main mobile carriers..

Mobiles should be treated with a lucky if it works and pure convenience
attitude and should not be relied upon.

Well they work for us and we use them all the time and I sometimes wish
they hadn't been invented as I have to pay the bl^^dy bills for them;!...

I pay **** all for mine.

You don't have teenage children I'll bet;?..

--
Tony Sayer

Bancom Communications U.K. Tel+44 1223 566577 Fax+44 1223 566588

4 Wingate close, Cambridge, England, CB2 9HW E-Mail