Rob V

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

Care to share your jig details??

"Oughtsix" wrote in message
m...
I have had a HF 6" jointer for 6+ years now. It is one of the most
used tools in my shop. I have only moved the fence a few times. When
I clamp down the fence on mine it likes to tilt a bit while
tightening. No biggie, it stays put once set.

For dust collection I have been using a piece of stove pipe flashing.
It is about 12" x 12" and is made to go over a stove pipe on a roof.
It has a cone shaped chute and my 4" flex tubing fits on it nicely.
Mounting is a little tricky, 4 pieces of duct tape and it has never
fallen off. I have never had a clog.

I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives.
Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old
knives to the sharpener.

I have not found a reason to purchase a nicer 6" jointer but a 10"
long bed would be nice.

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

. com...
Finished the dust collector attachment and it works like a charm. Got a

12"
tablesaw flat connector. Put some 1.5" wide weather-stripping all along

the
edge.Drilled three holes for some screen latches - the kind that have a
little tab that swings over the screen edge to hold a screen in a door

etc.
It swings over the edge of the tablesaw connection and holds it tight to

the
weather-stripping. Fired her up and jointed away and all the shavings

went
into the DC as planned. To quote the "A Team" - "I love it when a plan

comes
together".

Vic

"Johnson" wrote in message
I know you aren't asking me but I have this jointer and your idea is
exactly what I did years ago. Works pretty well, too. Worth the
trouble. I didn't see any reason to make it removable and used pop
rivets. A little duct tape around the plastic for a seal and ready to
go.

Jim

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
m...
I'm still trying to come up with a good connection for my dust

collector.
The dust chute is marginal at best. I'm thinking of taking a 12" or

14"
tablesaw hood and mounting it over the dust chute opening. It

*looks* like
it might work. What have you done/decided?

Vic

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
In rec.woodworking
(Adguru) wrote:

Thanks Vic,
I have been wanting a jointer for a long time. They are so heavy

you
can't hardly buy used out of town and afford the shipping. I live

in a
realitively small town so used jointers just don't hit the want

The next step would be HF, and you need a testimonial like yours

feel safe.

I just bought the HF 6" jointer today and concur with Vic's post

with a
few
exceptions. First, for $179, you really can't go wrong can you?

I could
get 2 for the price of the Grizzly 6".

My outfeed table also required a bit of adjustment, no bigee. The

tables
are flat to each other and the fence is flat. My complaint is the

fence
mechanism. The entire fence is supported by the right end and

when you
loosen it to set an angle, it just flops all over, raises up when

you
tighten the nut, etc. The mechanism to stop at 90 degrees seems

too
flimsy
to be trustworthy.

The good news is, it can be set square with little trouble using a
machinists square. That is how I intend on using it and luckily,

I seldom
joint anything at other than 90 degrees.

Power seems adequate. The dust chute works but I'm stuck having

to fab
something to connect my dust collector. I also cut a few rabbets

and that
worked very well also.

All in all I'm pleased and have no regrets and would recommend it

anyone
that is a budget conscious hobby woodworker. I've used a Jet 6"

quite a
bit and really see no difference in performance at 1/3 the price.