Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default WTH? Should I buy a Volt?

On 6/28/2012 6:05 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 05:45:43 -0400, Ed wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:44:43 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

I just got a letter that says my village (Morton Grove, IL) contracted
with an electrical supplier to provide juice that ComEd was providing.
Effective rate goes from 8.5 cents per kwh to 4.42.
If I don't opt out, I'm in.
Sounds too good to be true.
Anybody else run into this?

Damned good rate. I have ConEd here in CT and pay .0659. Most
suppliers are about .07 and the utility is .082. Given your location,
I'd say it could be true as power is usually lower than here.

That rate is only locked for a year. We'll see how kickbacks can
affect it next year. Well, we won't actually "see" unless somebody
gets caught..

Real interesting the village is negotiating a rate based on multiple users.

As for buying a Volt, with that rate the payback would only be about
20 years.

I figured more like 83.33 years. Based on estimated electric savings
of $40 a month and paying $40k for the Volt.
I'm going to pass on the Volt.

One, of course, compares cost versus the options. The option you
compared is not having a car (which has no cost?)

Consumers Report occasionally does comparisons. They include purchase
price, fuel cost, depreciation, maintenance, and other costs. In 2008
the payback on a Prius was 1 year. Savings over a comparable over 5
years was $2000. Some other hybrids saved significant money. Some
hybrids cost significantly more over 5 years. One of these days they
should do a comparison that includes Volt and Leaf.