Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust free place to apply poly

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:34:43 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/27/2012 11:29 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:50:14 -0500, wrote:

Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

A follow up to my gel varnish suggestion....

I just came in from the shop. I applied Old Masters Gel Varnish to the
top, bottom, and front edge of 16 shelves and to the fronts of 6 cabinet
backs,approximately 14"x75"

After applying the varnish to one side I immediately flipped them over on
the fresh surface to do the other side, one at a time. When finished
with each I picked them up with no worry of dust or prints and stood them
on end with a fan blowing on them.

That took about 2.5 hours.

I know you already have your varnish but go buy a can of Old Masters and
skip all the preparation that goes with liquid varnishes. BTY no
scuffing between coats either.

Use sparingly, I used 1/2 quart. Subsequent coats will take much less.

My shoulders are aching just reading this. The heat ran me out of the shop
around 3 ... not as hot outside as yesterday, but 104 in the shop.

My shoulders are aching from weedeating down a 6' wide, 4' deep trench
200' long in 80F weather yesterday and raking and bagging (fourteen 33
gal bags) them today, then loading all that on the truck to go to
recycling. I would MUCH prefer to have done a quick rubout on those
few shelves of Leon's. I wonder if I can get him to trade the next
time he does it...

Until recently I was cleaning up the leaves in my dad's yard. Live Oak
leaves. Those drop in the spring and do not break down, they will lay
there for years. Each Spring I have to gather them in 45 Gal contractor
bags and normally 20~24 bags at a time. Repeat 3 weeks later.

I'd have rented a riding leaf vac and let it do the work for a large
job like that. Mulched leaves take up less space, too.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.