Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Are electric cars more energy efficient?

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:23:29 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In your analysis, you need to cover the full lifecycle cost, which
includes making the car in the first place. Cars only last on average
seven years, so making them is a major component of both cost and carbon
impact. Batteries in particular are expensive to make, don't have a
very large capacity compared to a gas tank, and don't last all that long.

What is the AVERAGE age of the north american automotive fleet?? As of
June, 2012, the average age of an automobile is 11 years

The average age has varied, and tends to increase during recessions and
decrease when times are good. The 7 years is the amortization period
for cars used in business.

And I keep my cars for at least that long, usually longer. I buy them
new and start looking for the next car when they get to 100,000 miles,
because I don't want to deal with all the repairs that come as the car
starts to wear out. I used to keep them far longer, but it became too
much of a hassle.

Joe Gwinn