Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Dust free place to apply poly

On 6/27/2012 9:57 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike wrote in
news:3459$4feb74bd :

Bill wrote:

Thanks Doug. I assume that T-shirt material qualify as "microfiber"
cloth. I've got a tack rag too. I was going to rub with a rag with
denatured alcohol to clean out the pores of the wood before the
first coat.

No - Tee shirt material is not micro fiber. But... it works very
well. Before micro fiber became the rage of the age, it's what we
used. Works just fine. Frankly - I don't think micro fiber works
any better - it's just the rage of the age.

Oh, yes, it does. Try the experiment I suggested to Bill: wipe a
freshly-sanded workpiece with a tee-shirt, as many times as you want.
Then wipe it again with a microfiber cloth, and see how much sawdust
the tee-shirt missed.

I will try that. I do use micro fiber but I use it to wipe finishes off to
a really nice shine - whether they are wood or metal finishes. I had never
really noticed any real difference in dust pickup, but then again I was
never really looking at that.

Microfiber makes an excellent micro fiber dust mop too.

http://www.mybonahome.com/home.html