Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Dust free place to apply poly

On 6/27/2012 8:46 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in :

Doug Miller wrote:

Don't worry about it, Bill. Dust is inevitable. You can't prevent it. Instead, you cope with it.

Here's how:

Once you have the project smooth enough to finish (by sanding, planing, scraping, or
whatever), wipe it down with a dry microfiber cloth to remove dust from the surface. Then
apply your first coat of wipe-on poly. Wait for it to dry, then sand the surface with 400-grit
sandpaper. Wipe again with the microfiber cloth, and apply another coat. Repeat.

Repeat
again, using 600-grit this time. Repeat once more, using either 600- or 800-grit. When dry,
sand with 1000-grit or finer (available at nearly any auto parts store), and wipe with the
microfiber cloth. You're done, and the surface will feel like glass.

Thanks Doug. I assume that T-shirt material qualify as "microfiber"
cloth.

No, not at all. It's completely different stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

Get some true microfiber cloth, e.g.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...ths-68440.html

FYI a much better deal at SamsClub, slightly larger and 24 for $12.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=198756

I dry my truck with two of these after washing and they still pick up dirt.

then wipe down a freshly-sanded piece with a t-shirt until you're convinced you have
removed all the sawdust -- then wipe it again with the microfiber cloth. You will be
astonished at how much dust remained after you were sure it was all gone.

Always wash your microfiber cloths *by hand*. Put one in the laundry just once, and you'll
discover that it picks up lint just as readily as it picks up sawdust.

We buy the big packs at Sams and collect them until we have a load for
the washer. We wash them by themselves, so no lint, and use no fabric
softener.