Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Dust free place to apply poly

On 6/27/2012 8:41 PM, Richard wrote:
On 6/27/2012 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Don't worry about it, Bill. Dust is inevitable. You can't prevent it.
Instead, you cope with it.

Here's how:

Once you have the project smooth enough to finish (by sanding,
planing, scraping, or
whatever), wipe it down with a dry microfiber cloth to remove dust
from the surface. Then
apply your first coat of wipe-on poly. Wait for it to dry, then sand
the surface with 400-grit
sandpaper. Wipe again with the microfiber cloth, and apply another
coat. Repeat. Repeat
again, using 600-grit this time. Repeat once more, using either 600-
or 800-grit. When dry,
sand with 1000-grit or finer (available at nearly any auto parts
store), and wipe with the
microfiber cloth. You're done, and the surface will feel like glass.

Thanks Doug. I assume that T-shirt material qualify as "microfiber"
cloth. I've got a tack rag too. I was going to rub with a rag with
denatured alcohol to clean out the pores of the wood before the first
coat.

While we're on this topic, the state of my knowledge is that 320, say,
Aluminum Oxide sand paper (designed for wood) is similarly abrasive to
320 grit Silicon Carbide ("wet or dry"), except the later is designed
for metal. I know the Aluminum Oxide breaks down as you use it, helping
to keep the paper free of dust. I might guess I might actually want to
use water, if I was following the procedure Doug outlined, just to keep
the paper usable. Do I need to correct any of this?

Thanks,
Bill

A follow up to my gel varnish suggestion....

I just came in from the shop. I applied Old Masters Gel Varnish to the
top, bottom, and front edge of 16 shelves and to the fronts of 6 cabinet
backs,approximately 14"x75"

After applying the varnish to one side I immediately flipped them over
on the fresh surface to do the other side, one at a time. When finished
with each I picked them up with no worry of dust or prints and stood
them on end with a fan blowing on them.

That took about 2.5 hours.

I know you already have your varnish but go buy a can of Old Masters and
skip all the preparation that goes with liquid varnishes. BTY no
scuffing between coats either.

Use sparingly, I used 1/2 quart. Subsequent coats will take much less.

I have been varnishing the interior woodwork on my sailboat and only
have a single wall and some trim left to do. But no varnish left.

I think I'll give your Old MAsters Gel a try See what that's like.

It is an interior finish so if you think it is going to be exposed to
water don't use it. Be sure and wipe it down 2 times with separate
wiping cloths after applying varnish. Basically wipe it down smooth
immediately and apply several coats.