Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default Communication wiring for a new house

On 27/06/2012 08:27, Paul D Smith wrote:
"Caecilius" wrote in message
I'll soon be wiring a new house, and I want to install some
communication cabling at the same time. It's a small two-bedroomed
house, which will be rented out when it's complete, so I'm not looking
to do anything exotic or complex.

I'm thinking about TV, network and telephone. My thoughts a

1. TV

Standard 75 ohm coax from the loft to a socket in the living room.

I've not used TV for ages, so I assume the new digital TV still uses
the same cable and connectors as the old analog TV from 20+ years ago.
Or have they finally replaced those horrible belling-lee connectors
with something better?

2. Network

CAT 5e from RJ45 sockets bedrooms and living room to a multi-way
socket in one of the bedrooms.

3. Telephone

Might as well use CAT 5e for this as well I guess, to avoid getting a
seperate reel of telephone grade cable.

Can I install a BT master socket and just leave it to BT to connect
the A/B pair, or are only BT allowed to do that?

Is it actually worth installing telephone, or does everyone just use
mobiles or VOIP now?

Any thoughts or pointers to guides Etc. would be welcome.

I'm looking for anything that would be seen as standard or desirable
in a small new build house without adding too much complexity. Bearing
in mind that cabling is dead easy at the moment because the
plasterboard isn't up yet.

For you or someone else? Were I doing this from scratch I'd be tempted
to go for:

- Lots of CT100 equivalent TV/satellite/FM/DAB cable from rooms to
central point (and yes, F-plugs are what people use these days not BLs.).

And a number of extra Cat5e or better - what's the betting that media
systems will move over more and more to networked systems?

- Similar with Ethernet (at least Cat 5e for 1GB)
- A few phone cables too (can use Cat5e if you like with suitable
sockets - which you could swap later if you stop using the phones and
want another ethernet socket..., or even a VoIP system).

Why not just install Ethernet sockets and a patch panel, so that any one
can be swapped between Ethernet and phone and the phone can be plugged
in with a simple adapter?

- Bring them to a central point where they terminate, ideally at a patch
panel.
- Bring the phone line, cable feed, satellite, TV aerial feed to the
same point.
- Let the new owners connect together however they want using ADSL
modem/router, TV/Radio distribution box, satellite distribution etc or
if they're only using a small number of outputs, a simple connection cable.

If you use the right Satellite LNB (quattro I think they're called), you
can get a box which takes the 4 inputs and allows a large number of
satellite boxes/Sky/TVs to share them.

Paul DS.