Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Communication wiring for a new house

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:51:03 +0100, Caecilius wrote:

I'll soon be wiring a new house, and I want to install some
communication cabling at the same time. It's a small two-bedroomed
house, which will be rented out when it's complete, so I'm not looking
to do anything exotic or complex.

I'm thinking about TV, network and telephone. My thoughts a

1. TV

Standard 75 ohm coax from the loft to a socket in the living room.

I've not used TV for ages, so I assume the new digital TV still uses the
same cable and connectors as the old analog TV from 20+ years ago. Or
have they finally replaced those horrible belling-lee connectors with
something better?

Ours is all cat5e between a hub in the basement and the decoders in the
rooms (and also between the hub and the interface box on the wall
outside). That was all installed by the TV co though; I'm not sure how
happy they are if they come in to set up and find pre-existing cable.

2. Network

CAT 5e from RJ45 sockets bedrooms and living room to a multi-way socket
in one of the bedrooms.

Personally I'd run everything back to a common point somewhere and patch
as necessary - but if that were a loft I'd be a bit worried about network
hardware cooking in the summer.

cheers

Jules