Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust free place to apply poly

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

I am scrambling for a location to apply (wipe on) poly to my
small project. This is my first time around on this.

Why?

When I was reading about applying a polyurethane finish, there was
a great deal of concern about dust (specks), etc. I just wanted to
try to get it right. It's not like I didn't do some homework on
finishing with polyurethane before posting. If I had, I might have
ended up with the gel Leon suggested instead of Minwax "wipe on" poly
product. I haven't investigated the gel, but I do suspect that what
I bought will give me a suitable finish.

Does that answer your question?

Sure did, but don't let the matter of dust get too big in your mind. You
can easily finish wood in what you might think is too dusty an environment.
A little clean up, a little time for everything to settle, maybe a mist of
water as someone else suggested, and you'd be surprised at how quickly that
dust is not the issue you feared it may be. Even if you do get a little
dust in your finish, a little light sanding and polishing and you're good to
go.

--

-Mike-