Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Communication wiring for a new house

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:51:03 +0100, Caecilius wrote:

1. TV

I've not used TV for ages, so I assume the new digital TV still uses
the same cable and connectors as the old analog TV from 20+ years ago.
Or have they finally replaced those horrible belling-lee connectors
with something better?

Still 75R but the cabling has improved in quality, use CT100 or equivalent.
Standrad connector is also the F type (still cheap and cheerful but not a s
nasty as Belling Lee). These days also consider installing a dish for
satellite reception, they are cheap. I'd fit a Quad LNB (two for the living
room for Sky+ or other PVR and one each for the bedrooms). The cables from
the LNB would go to their respective destinations via the cable closet, the
same place that all the network cables end up. They can just be barrelled
through at this stage but it makes life easier to fit a multiswitch later.
I'd also run 4 CT100 cables to the living room as a PVR may well need two,
the TV another and you'll probably need terrestial there as well. Cable is
cheap and easy to fit at this stage perhaps make that 6...

2. Network

CAT 5e from RJ45 sockets bedrooms and living room to a multi-way
socket in one of the bedrooms.

Where ever you think you might need a network point fit two and cable them
back to a central point, preferably not in a room where some one might want
to sleep. The telly position may need several, TV, PVR, Wii, Xbox etc. 6
again?

3. Telephone

Might as well use CAT 5e for this as well I guess, to avoid getting a
seperate reel of telephone grade cable.

Yes keeps things simple. You could terminate some on BT style sockets but I
wouldn't just use adapters into the RJ45 sockets.

Can I install a BT master socket and just leave it to BT to connect
the A/B pair, or are only BT allowed to do that?

You can provision the location for the master socket with cable and back box
etc. BT will install the master socket. As this is new build try and
determine where the line will arrive and make the master close to where that
is in the building run two Cat5e cables from there back to the cable closet
and make sure there is mains at the master BT socket as well. Enables you to
fit the ADSL or FTTC box at the master socket and send the filtered POTS
around the house without so much worry about local interference messing up
the ADSL. Wireless AP would be a seperate box mouted in the best place for
wirless coverage, in the loft? So a couple of Cat5e up there as well.

Is it actually worth installing telephone, or does everyone just use
mobiles or VOIP now?

You need a land line for VOIP (well mostly). I'd mark down a place without
provision for a landline and as FTTC rolls out it will be needed for that.
Anybody who relies only a mobile hasn't thought it through properly.

--
Cheers
Dave.