Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx amdx is offline

Default Insignia NS-PDP42 Repair

On 6/25/2012 4:33 PM, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
Hi all,
I picked up an Insignia NS-PSDP42 TV.
Symptom: Push power switch, relay clicks, then 3 seconds later it
unclicks.
I seem to be missing voltages out of the power supply PCB, from what
little info I have gleaned off the net so far.
I don't want to buy a new power supply PCB, I'd rather replace
defective components.
Does anyone have a schematic or experience with this problem.
I see a common problem are 4 bad caps, but mine look and test good.
Darn it!

Thanks, Mikek

You didn't say whether you tested ESR or capacitance. Some electrolytics
need to be ultra-low ESR types so the reading might look good enough but
isn't.

In the UK, some consumer equipment parts sellers offer PSU refurb kits
(usually mostly the electrolytics known to cause trouble) If you're trading
and charging the going rate it worth the price of a refurb kit to reduce the
chances of a return.

I see that a common repair is replacement of 5 caps in the PS.
It also seems that the defective caps are easy to spot because they
are bulging out the top. Mine aren't bulging. I'll do a better test of
the caps tomorrow.
There's a kit.
http://www.amazon.com/Repair-Insigni.../dp/B007HDZVSO

As I said "I picked it up" literally, I picked it up at the curb, one
of my neighbors threw it out. If I can get it working I'll give to my
son, he starts college on July 2nd. He'd like a 42" tv. :-)
Mikek