Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Insignia NS-PDP42 Repair

Hi all,
I picked up an Insignia NS-PSDP42 TV.
Symptom: Push power switch, relay clicks, then 3 seconds later it unclicks.
I seem to be missing voltages out of the power supply PCB, from what
little info I have gleaned off the net so far.
I don't want to buy a new power supply PCB, I'd rather replace
defective components.
Does anyone have a schematic or experience with this problem.
I see a common problem are 4 bad caps, but mine look and test good.
Darn it!

Thanks, Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message
Hi all,
I picked up an Insignia NS-PSDP42 TV.
Symptom: Push power switch, relay clicks, then 3 seconds later it
unclicks.
I seem to be missing voltages out of the power supply PCB, from what
little info I have gleaned off the net so far.
I don't want to buy a new power supply PCB, I'd rather replace
defective components.
Does anyone have a schematic or experience with this problem.
I see a common problem are 4 bad caps, but mine look and test good.
Darn it!

Thanks, Mikek

You didn't say whether you tested ESR or capacitance. Some electrolytics
need to be ultra-low ESR types so the reading might look good enough but
isn't.

In the UK, some consumer equipment parts sellers offer PSU refurb kits
(usually mostly the electrolytics known to cause trouble) If you're trading
and charging the going rate it worth the price of a refurb kit to reduce the
chances of a return.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 6/25/2012 4:33 PM, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I see that a common repair is replacement of 5 caps in the PS.
It also seems that the defective caps are easy to spot because they
are bulging out the top. Mine aren't bulging. I'll do a better test of
the caps tomorrow.
There's a kit.
http://www.amazon.com/Repair-Insigni.../dp/B007HDZVSO

As I said "I picked it up" literally, I picked it up at the curb, one
of my neighbors threw it out. If I can get it working I'll give to my
son, he starts college on July 2nd. He'd like a 42" tv. :-)
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Couple of days ago someone threw a Samsung flatscreen in the binroom at the
flats, all the brackets & pedestal were missing so I stripped it to harvest
the SMD ceramic chip capacitors, the yield was a bit disapointing but I got
10x largish one's that read over 11uF

Everytime I see one of those opened up - I wonder whether the backlight CCFL
transformers would be any good for homebrew stun-guns.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

If I have to junk this one, I'll get plenty of parts from it first.
Probably just remove the pcb's and hold them for parts.
Mikek
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Exactly what I did with the one I dragged out the bin, it had a few bulged
lytics - on more than one board.

So far I've used one of the 10uF SMD ceramics in the remote for my HiFi,
the weedy lytic on the battery tracks was marginal at best and performance
suffered from day 1 - I had to sit there pressing a button till something
happened!

With the SMD ceramic added it just works with no faffing about.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

You do enjoy using the vernacular! (This does go across the pond!)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

We do, and there was enough context to make it understandable.
Mikek